4:30 rolls around and I start wondering why I’m stealing chocolate chips from my baking bin or why I’m eating half a box of Triscuits. Then the duh moment hits, “Oh yeah…I never ate lunch!”
Rule #1 in Mommyhood: Take care of Mommy so you can take care of everyone else!
So what happens? Why on so many days do I forget to sit and eat?
I know part of the reason is my desire to get things done while the girls are occupied with their food, but another part and actually a rather BIG part is that I get bored with food. After I make the girls lunch, this is usually what happens next…
Open pantry…scan, scan…close pantry. (Sigh)
Open frig…scan, scan…close frig. (Sigh)
Open pantry…grab a Triscuit…close pantry…eat said Triscuit. Resign to eating later and start tackling housework!
Obviously, our bodies need food to function. And honestly, I love food. I even happen to love sandwiches, but just ham and cheese or turkey and cheese ain’t cuttin’ it these days. I need a little more life…a little more flavor to get me excited about lunch at home.
So I started brainstorming and made a list of ways to transform ye ole ham and cheese sandwich. But first, my one and only requirement…MUST. BE. EASY.
All that said, l give you…
10 Easy Ways to Make a Better Sandwich
1. Avocado slices- I absolutely love avocado and on a sandwich it adds a refreshing coolness and creamy texture. Store the remaining avocado in the frig with the pit intact to help limit the amount of browning.
2. Bacon- Hey, I didn’t say my suggestions would be healthy. And when is something not better with bacon?
3. Greens- Whether it’s iceberg, romaine, some baby spinach leaves, or even alfalfa sprouts (not my personally cup of tea), a little green can be great for some added color, as well as crunchy texture. And yeah, I suppose it’s good for you.
4. Tomato- I prefer Roma, homegrown, or “Ripe from the Vine”. A nice, juicy slice of tomato not only tastes great on a sandwich, but also makes it more appetizing to look at. And I don’t know about you, but I’m kind of a visual eater. It’s not an absolute requirement, but I find I enjoy my food more when it looks good.
5. Red Onion- Okay, I know there may be a lot of onion-haters out there, but I am a total onion-lover! A few thin slices of some red onion has a way of totally transforming the flavor of a sandwich. Mmmm…love it!
6. Bread choice- Flat bread, ciabatta, potato rolls, croissants, kaiser roll, rye, honey wheat…the choices are seriously endless! Forget the same old boring bread. Go for something new…something different. It’s the first thing your taste buds touch when you take a bite, so make it good!
7. Freshly Sliced Deli Meats- You might try going to the deli rather than buying pre-packaged deli meats. Delis usually have a really good variety and some of the choices might be healthier than most packaged meats (less fat, less sodium, no fillers, etc.) Plus, if you want more variety, you can get a few different meats in very small quantities. You can also get them sliced the way you want. I like super thin!
8. Cheeses- Give the American cheese a break and try a little Sharp Cheddar, Havarti, Muenster, Monterrey Jack, etc. There are so many great cheeses out there and they can really alter the flavor of a sandwich.
9. Cracked Pepper- We’re big fans of freshly cracked pepper in our house. Add a little over your tomato, avocado, or lettuce and it gives your sandwich a little extra kick.
10. Rethink Condiments- Honey, Dijon or even Horseradish mustard as oppose to yellow. Maybe a little salad dressing. A smidgen of Italian dressing is great with some Italian cold cuts, tomato, and thinly sliced red onion! Or try a chipotle mayo or garlic aioli. (Have to say, I have become a recent fan of Kraft’s chipotle mayo…super yum!)
When I have some of these items in my frig and pantry, I look forward to my lunches. And as a result, I eat.
I eat lunch when lunch was intended to be eaten. And I don’t find myself grabbing fistfuls of chocolate chips mid-afternoon.
Plus, I’d much rather enjoy a meal with my girls than check a measly one or two items off my to-do list!
So grab an avocado and some chipotle mayo, Moms, and let’s reclaim lunch time…together!
Oooo, and don’t forget the pickle spear on the side! =)