Frugal Fashionista Friday

For most of my life I’ve known my mom to be a t-shirt and jeans kind of gal.  It was one of the things my dad loved about her…her no-fuss, simple beauty.  But as I look back at old photos, I realize that wasn’t always her.  From one decade to the next, her wardrobe took drastic turns and the hairstyles…oh the hairstyles!  I discovered where I get my impulse for a new do! =)  I also got glimpses of who my mom has been at different points in her life…her tastes, her personality, her fashion.

Recently, I’ve started wondering what it will be like for my girls to one day look at old photos of me.  Will they giggle at the numerous hairstyles? Will they say, “Oh, Mom, how could you!”  Or will they, like me, find photos that capture their mother’s beauty in a way they had never seen?  I hope it will be all three!  And I hope looking at my past will bring them great joy and, of course, entertainment.  So with the desire to supply my girls with little snapshots of me through the ages, I’m beginning Frugal Fashionista Friday.

I may have inherited an addiction to changing my hair, but I’ve also got my mom’s frugality written right into my genes.  Beginning today, on the first Friday of each month, my plan is to share a fabulously fashionable, yet frugal find with my readers…and my daughters.

Let’s get to it, shall we?  Drum roll, please…..

Our very first find for Frugal Fashionista Friday is???….

TADA!!!

This super cute black and white polka-dot dress by She’s Cool!  A flattering v-neck line and a hem just above the knee make this little number perfect for date night.  Pair it with some flats and it’s comfy cotton feel make it a fabulous daytime dress as well.  And coming in at just $6.99 at Ross, made it impossible for me to leave this cutie on the rack!

Well, ladies, I hope this has inspired you to keep an eye out for a look that won’t send you into cardiac arrest or in need of a second mortgage!  Happy Shopping!  But before you go, two things…First, leave a comment sharing where you find your best frugal fashions and second, I’m considering making next month’s Frugal Fashionista Friday a link up.  What do you think?

Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Frugal Fashionista Friday

1. Nichole says:

What a fun idea, Elizabeth!
    I think a link up would be so cool and inspiring!

And that dress is lovely. :)
    Nichole recently posted..Next Up, HoardersMy Profile

• Mommon Sense says:

Thank you, Nichole! So glad you like the idea and dress. I’ve been toying with the thought of Frugal Fashionista Fridays for a while and decided to finally give it a go! =)

2. angela says:

I love the dress, and I love the idea! (I stalked you over here from Nichole’s tweet, so hello.)

Not too long ago, my dad showed us old home movies, and it was so fun to see my grandma as a young mother, all dressed in her 50s dresses and pearls. This post and your lovely photos of your mom reminded me of that.
    angela recently posted..A Few Steps BehindMy Profile

• Mommon Sense says:

Thank you and hello to you too! I have to say I’m envious. Oh, how I wish we had old movies from our family. What a treasure that must have been for you to see! =)

3. Mama B says:

Adorable picture of you! Love the dress. You can wear anything. I might be willing to post a pic or two of me in my 30s and 40s but the old bod has gradually gone to the dogs because of my infirmities and inability to exercise. Not complaining. Just stating the facts. God is good. All the time!

4. Tara says:

Are you kidding me? $6.99 for that?! It’s adorable! You scored. When I see pictures of my mom I realize how fashionable she was. She still is in lots of ways, but you only really grasp it when you look through old photos. I’m sure my kids will look back at some of my photos and laugh at whatever I was wearing that was in style at the time, but then their kids will laugh at them too. :)

• Mommon Sense says:

Thanks! I seriously couldn’t believe it. I grabbed it off the rack because I loved the look of it. When I saw the price, I loved it even more! =)
      And if it makes you feel any better, rest assured that my girls will have PLENTY of material to laugh at one day! =)

5. Heather K says:

This is adorable! And I love your “Frugal Friday” idea. Very creative. Thanks for stopping by today. I look forward to reading your future posts!

6. Ming says:

It’s lovely! A great find! I miss the days I live in CA and have a Ross just down the street. I always can find lovely things there – clothes, bags, shoes etc… (just have a problem with the available sizes). Another place I head to was Marshalls. Kindof same concept. :)

And thanks for popping by my blog too! :)
    Ming recently posted..Playdate @ Jurong Bird ParkMy Profile

• Mommon Sense says:

Glad you like it! =) Yeah, I’m a big fan of Ross and Marshalls too. You mention handbags and I totally agree. You can buy them there at a fraction of the usual cost!

Thank you for stopping in and hope you’ll be back! =)
      Have a fabulous rest of the weekend!

7. Galit Breen says:

What an adorable dress and lovely idea!

I adore the way that you wove your mother’s story with your’s and your daughters.’

Le sigh – lovely!
    Galit Breen recently posted..Practical ParentingMy Profile

• Mommon Sense says:

Thank you so much! I’m looking forward to this little project. =)

I have to tell you, I thought about your Practical Parenting post all weekend. It was a reminder I needed! And I felt like I was a better wife and mom because of it. Thank you!

8. I love the dress, it’s so pretty! Definitely something I would wear (when I’m done being pregnant). I also love the outfit your mom is wearing in the top right hand corner.

Great idea for a meme too!

9. Mommon Sense says:

Thank you! And that one of my mom is one of my absolute favorites! I just love the entire look…the dress, the side pony-tail with the scarf, and, of course, the sunglasses! =)

Hope your pregnancy is going smoothly! I know it gets harder towards the end…especially when you already have another little one to chase!

10. MHIFOT says:

Keep the sun from ruining your hair with products that have sunscreen in them, continual sunlight direct exposure could reverse all the good you have actually done for your hair, protecting the hair will keep its colour and aid it for it look better longer!