Dear Layla and Kenley,
It may be difficult to imagine, but I wasn’t always a mommy. I wasn’t always a wife. And being the curious little girls that you are, I thought you might find it interesting one day to know who I was before the titles of Mrs. and Mommy! So here’s a little list to get you started…
1. From the ages 3 to 5, I lived in Puerto Rico. You could see the ocean from our front yard where we had a hammock that swung between two coconut-filled palm trees.
2. I had two baby chicks as a little girl. Their fuzz was dyed blue and orange and I named them Cindy and Mindy, but later found out they were boys!
3. I played soccer for almost 8 years. I can still hear Papa (my dad) on the sidelines, “Goooo, Girl!”
4. I water-skied as a kid!
5. Your dad turned me down when I asked him to our eighth grade dance. Punk!
6. My first kiss was in a high school play…AWK-WARD!
7. I graduated summa cum laude and sang the class song at my high school graduation, Sarah McLachlin’s “I Will Remember You”, but ironically I don’t remember a whole lot!
8. I was a theatre major in college (directing and performing). Coolest moment… Doo-wopping while wearing a sequenced dress, gloves, feather boa, and hair extensions!
9. I taught middle school theatre before marrying your dad. I was known as the crazy teacher who sometimes dressed like a mime and didn’t speak the entire school day!
10. While I was teaching, your dad made up for being a punk in his earlier years and took me to the eighth grade dance! =)
Well, that’s just a little about my adventures before diapers and dishes! My greatest adventures have been with you and your dad though…and something tells me the most exciting have yet to come! I look forward to telling you more and showing you lots of pictures one day. And I hope you will be able to look back on your own early years with the same joy and fondness I am. I love you both and look forward to sharing the past, present, and future with you…